7th International Universities Debating Championship
24 - 29 May, 2024
The world’s largest and most prestigious Arabic Debate Competition – the International Universities Debating Championship (IUDC), is returning for its 7th iteration this Spring of 2024.
Organized by QatarDebate, IUDC is a global event which gathers students from all corners of the world for one celebrated purpose – competitive debating. Here, they engage in meaningful discourse about the most pressing societal challenges and global issues which affect us all. Uniquely, this Championship is held entirely in Arabic and boasts a unique platform not only for students to engage in critical discourse using the Arabic language, but for Arab-speaking students from all walks of life to converge on a common stage and learn about each other’s cultures.
The 7th IUDC is the perfect opportunity for students to critique ideas and develop their critical thinking, research, and public speaking skills – all while showcasing the strength and beauty of the Arabic language on a global stage.
In what will likely be a testament to the ability of the Arabic language to unite communities, this 7th edition of IUDC is expected to attract over 600 participants from 50 countries. The Championship will take place over five days of intense competition, where teams will attempt to best one another on a variety of themes and topics including economics, environmental sustainability, and social justice.
The 7th IUDC
The 7th iteration of the International Universities Debating Championship is back to its home country, Doha. More than 600 participants will be joining in the biggest Arabic debate event in the world and competing for the 7th IUDC title.
The 7th International Universities Debating Championship will be held in May, 2024. The 1st phase of registrations has ended, and registrations are closed. You can email us for more information / inquiries.
7th IUDC Participants
More than 80 teams, representing the top universities in the world will be competing for the International Universities Debating Championship
7th IUDC Details
- The team consists of 3 debaters, and 1 additional debater can be registered (the organizer does not cover the travel expenses for the additional participant of the accepted team, but the organizer will provide visa, internal transportation, and accommodation for them during the tournament).
- Each debater must be between the age of 18-26 on the date of the tournament.
- Debaters must be enrolled as undergraduate students of the registered University. An official letter from university should be provided as proof.
Fees & Scholarships
The Registration fee is USD750 Per team.
1st Phase of team selection
- The two best winning teams from countries that host a national tournament in collaboration with the Qatar Debates Center.
- One team from other countries that do not host national tournaments. In case of multiple applications, the organizing committee has the right to choose the team it deems suitable for participation.
Additional Participations (Teams and Coaches):
- Additional 2 teams (Semifinalist) from countries which organize the National Tournament and 1 additional team from other countries are allowed to participate and will have their registration fees waived but must bear the costs of their own flight tickets and accommodation for the tournament.
- Additional coaches and coordinators are allowed to participate, but must do so at their own cost (i.e. for flights; accommodation; meals).
- Judges selected by the QatarDebate are exempted from registration fees, and their travel and accommodation expenses will be covered.
- The final approval for a team is granted only after the payment of participation fees within the specified period.
More details can be found in the technical guidelines document, please read the document before registering.
Read the Technical Guidelines for the 7th IUDC
Teams that wish to take part in the 7th International Universities Arabic Debating Championship can either register directly and go through the registration process, or be part of a national championship, where the top teams from the championship will qualify to participate in the 7th IUDC.
National debate organizations and approved debate clubs can submit a proposal to host a national debate championship.